Abe Mashni is a partner at Baldani Law Group focusing his entire practice on state and federal criminal defense.
BACKGROUND + EXPERIENCE
Born and raised in Lexington, Kentucky, Abe attended Tates Creek High School. After graduating from the University of Kentucky, magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Abe earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of Kentucky College of Law.
While some lawyers go their entire career without trying a case before a jury, Abe did just that before graduating law school. Determined to get into the courtroom as fast as possible, he applied for and was granted a limited practitioner’s license by the Kentucky Supreme Court. He successfully argued several hearings and a felony jury trial on behalf of the Fayette County Commonwealth Attorney’s Office. With that intimate knowledge, Abe understands how prosecutors and law enforcement agencies develop and prosecute a criminal case.
After graduating law school, Abe began working for Fayette Circuit Judge Kimberly Bunnell as a staff attorney. In this capacity, he gained invaluable insight from a judge’s perspective and learned about the inner workings of a complicated court system
In 2014, Abe joined Baldani Law Group. At first his practice was diverse handling criminal defense, personal injury, and family law litigation. After time, he discovered his true passion was defending those accused of crimes. In 2019, Abe earned partnership stake in the firm.
Abe has successfully tried several cases to jury and bench trials. His jury trial experience includes; federal criminal defense, state felony criminal defense, DUI, and personal injury. He has also handled numerous family law bench trials including divorce, custody, Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services cases.
REPRESENTING PEOPLE. NOT CRIMES.
Regardless of the allegations, every single one of Abe’s clients are people first and foremost. Real people. People that have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, or daughters that love them dearly. When agreeing to represent someone, Abe understands the disastrous effects a criminal conviction can have on your career, relationships, reputation, and most importantly, freedom. Abe welcomes the challenge each case presents, takes pride in the trust his clients place in him, and aggressively fights for his clients in court.
That’s why Abe promises all of his clients the following:
- He’s going to be available. He gives every client his cell phone. Law enforcement doesn’t just work Monday through Friday between 9-5. Neither does he.
- He’s going to try his best. While he can’t guarantee a particular outcome, he can guarantee attention to detail and effort while zealously advocating for his clients.
- He’s going to be honest. Whether it’s giving great news or bad news, he’s always going to give you straight answers.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS + MEDIA
- June 29, 2021 – Fayette County Bar Association Annual Bench and Bar CLE Presenter, “Jay-Z’s 99 Problems, What does the song get right – and wrong – about the law”
- WKYT, June 28, 2021 (Dozens of new laws, including police conduct, school choice, etc. take effect Tuesday)
- January 27, 2021 – KACDL CLE Presenter, “Basic Federal Criminal Practice”
- October 21, 2020 – Fayette County Bar Association, Annual Bench and Bar CLE, Presenter, “Defending Your First Felony Case in Fayette County”
- In 2020, Abe presented “Suppression of Evidence from Dog Sniffs (And Other Prolonged Stops) to criminal defense lawyers across Kentucky as part of KACDL’s CLE program.
- Abe hosts two podcasts, Baldani TV and Suppression Series, discussing criminal defense related subjects
- LEX 18, Sept. 30, 2020, (on the release of grand jury recordings in the Breonna Taylor case)
- WKYT, July 9, 2020 (on the new DUI laws in Kentucky)
- WKYT, June 27, 2019 (on the new concealed carry law in Kentucky)
- WKYT, Nov. 2, 2017 (on the legal ramifications for increased sexual harassment claims)
PROFESSIONAL + COMMUNITY
- Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (KACDL) – Board Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bluegrass – Former Board Member and “Big Brother”
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
AWARDS + RECOGNITION
- In 2019, Abe was awarded the Clarence Darrow Prodigy Award by the Kentucky Associate of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- For the last three years, Abe has been selected as a Rising Star on SuperLawyers (2020-2022).
Abe is a proud father to his son, Isaac, daughter, Lucy, and husband to his wife, Ann. He has a passion for playing golf, University of Kentucky athletics, grilling/smoking meat, and hunting with his bird dog, Cooper. Abe and his family regularly attend the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Lexington, KY.
Don’t take our word for it, here’s what a few of his former client’s say:
“Brilliant Legal Mind”
I worked with Abe Mashni on a case that spanned more than a year and a half. There was not a day from the moment I started working with him to the judge’s final ruling that I felt I was in anything but the best hands. He kept me informed, gave me sound and educated advice, and used his brilliant legal mind to get me a fantastic outcome. I was extremely impressed, and I do believe that the judge was too.
“Beacon of Hope”
Abe Mashni was a beacon of hope for my family during a rough time in of lives, at a time when our outcome appeared grim. He went above and beyond in the representation of my son and I appreciate all of his time and effort. Abe provided legal advice and representation during a difficult time. I found him to be experienced, knowledgeable and honest and I would recommend him and the firm 100% to anyone.
“Selfless and Compassionate”
Abe Mashni is not only an absolutely phenomenal and extremely diligent attorney, but also selfless and compassionate for the person he represents, going above and beyond what may be considered the acceptable expectation, in trying to achieve what some may find impossible. Well, nothing is impossible with Abe by your side! I can attest to that personally. I was arrested and charged with DUI, in relation to a medical condition I have, and Abe was able to provide medical information to the court, and my DUI was dismissed.